Do you need temporary car insurance when driving in the UK with an Australian license?

If you hold an Australian driver’s license, temporary car insurance can provide you with the coverage you need to drive legally in the United Kingdom. But do you really need it? There are many different opinions on this topic, so let’s take a closer look at what temporary car insurance is and how it works before we get into whether you need it or not.

What is temporary car insurance
Temporary car insurance is a form of motor insurance that provides cover for a short period of time. It is usually offered as a low-cost way to cover periods of time where someone needs to drive their own vehicle or somebody else’s vehicle.

How it works
If you have an Australian driver’s licence and are planning to drive in the United States, Canada or Mexico, then you will be required to carry a valid International Driving Permit.

Why do I need it
You don’t need to take out a policy if you’re going to be in the UK for less than six months. If your stay is going to be longer, you’ll want some sort of coverage.

Where can I buy it
If your vehicle is registered and insured in Australia, then it’s possible to drive without any additional coverage. However, if your vehicle isn’t registered and/or insured where you’re living, there are some options.

Can I get a discount
Many international visitors may think that they are not eligible for a discount on their car insurance, but this is not always true.

What is not covered
Temporary Car Insurance is not designed to be used as a substitute for comprehensive or third party liability. It cannot cover things like theft, vandalism or damage to other people’s property.

Optional extras
Whether or not you need temporary car insurance when driving in the UK depends on where your permanent residence is and whether or not you have a British license.

Final thoughts
You are not legally required to have temporary car insurance if you only plan on being in the UK for a short period of time.

Leave a Comment